Sunday, January 16, 2011

Things I'm thankful for today... Chicken Masala and coconut lime quinoa

I'm thankful for so much in my life.  For our family, our friends, our church, our home... but today two things come to mind.

My kids.  I'm thankful that they will eat anything that's put in front of them.  They've never had a chance to refuse, so that might be part of it.  But they are anything but picky eaters.  Everything that I make, they try.  Most of what I make they like.  I'm thankful for that.

My husband.  He's so willing to try anything.   He never complains.  He likes just about everything I make.  And he really likes the pre-dinner tastes.  When I ask him what he wants to eat, he just says... "whatever" so many times.  It makes my life easy, and gives me the chance to experiment with so many different tastes and flavors in the kitchen.

Today we tried some Indian food.  Chicken Masala.  It was so good!  The boys ate it, and Husband said he'd eat it again right now.  Which means it was really good. =)

Chicken Masala
The ingredients:
1 lb chicken breast, cut in small pieces
1 cup thickened yogurt
2 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
4 tsp minced garlic

2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 TBSP onion finely chopped
8 oz can of diced tomatoes (I used frozen from last years garden)
1 cup light coconut milk



Instructions:
Mix together yogurt, lime juice, 2 tsp garlic, garam marsala, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.


Add chicken to the yogurt marinade and refrigerate it anywhere from an hour to overnight.  I did 4 hours, while we were at church.



Preheat pan, add 1 tsp olive oil and chicken. Don't add all the yogurt that it's been sitting in.  You can see I did that and it was just too liquidy.  Brown the chicken.



Remove chicken from the pan.  Add the rest of the olive oil, the rest of the garlic and the onion.  Saute that for 3 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and coconut milk.  Cook on medium low for 5 minutes. Because I used tomatoes that I had frozen, I did drain the juice and had to cook them a little longer. I just kept tasting it until the fresh tomato taste was gone and it tasted like a sauce.



Add the chicken back to the pan.  Cook it for 3 minutes, just to get the chicken warm.



Serve over quinoa or rice.  I made the quinoa that I posted the other day and just changed the lemon juice to lime juice, subtracted the thyme and added some coconut milk.   It was scrumptious.





Next time I think that I won't cook the chicken all the way through and just build the sauce around it.  But besides that, this is a recipe that we have added to the collection and will definately have again!

No comments:

Post a Comment