Sunday, January 23, 2011

My favorite day of the week, Sunday... Crockpot Black Bean Chili

I love Sundays.   We have a wonderful church family.  We see our friends.  We do music together.  We worship together.  We spend the afternoon hanging out at home.  My laundry gets folded.  Then we do music some more.

One thing I like to do is a crock pot meal for lunch on Sunday.  It doesn't always happen, but today it did.   We had black bean chili.  One of our favorites.   I never thought I liked chili... turns out I just don't like kidney beans.  Once I started making it with black beans, we have it all the time.

It's easy, it's good. 

Ingredients:
1 lb of ground beef
1 can black beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 -1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder (optional)
1 pinch of dill weed (dried)

Brown the ground beef with the onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin.  The amount of the spices is just a rough estimate, because once the beef is cooked, I taste it.  Then I add more of whatever is missing.  However, this will be a good starting point.


Can you find the beef under all that steam?

Put the beef in the crock pot and add the beans and tomatoes. 



Cook on low for 4 hours.

Add the dill, stir and serve.



We like to serve the chili over crushed tortilla chips and shredded cheese.  Yummy!



I wait until after the boys eat to add the chipotle powder, since it is pretty spicy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment