Monday, January 3, 2011

Back to life... Black bean soup

Today my boys went back. Husband to work and Big Man to school.  I woke up not feeling settled, but by then end of the day (and thanks to coffee time with Jennie and Liz) we were back to "normal." 

Tonight we're having soup.  I try to do that once a week in the winter, because we all like it so much.

It's beef and black bean soup tonight.  Originally it was going to be black bean and sausage but we had a lot of roast left over from the rolled tacos, so I made that switch.  I hate having leftovers in my fridge because they just end up going in the trash.   Even before we ate it, it smelled fabulous.  And when I pulled Husband away from Mario Kart long enough to taste it, he deemed it "perfect."





Ingredients:
2 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp chopped garlic (I use the jar)
2 TBSP chopped onion
Leftover Roast
2 cans black beans
1/2 jar medium salsa
3/4 cup water
1 TBSP cumin
A few sprinkles of Emerils Bayou Blast (LOVE that stuff)
1 tsp lime juice

Instructions:
Heat thick bottom soup pot over medium high heat. Add olive oil and garlic, add onion. Cook 1 minute.
Add roast, beans and seasonings.  Add salsa and water. 
Heat to boil, then turn down to medium low.  Add lime juice and simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve topped with sour cream and shredded cheese.



A couple of notes:
1. I love that Emeril seasoning.  I need to know what's in it so I can make it with spices from the health food store.  (My new favorite spot for spices.)



2. Every time I cut up an onion I chop the whole thing and then stick the extra in a freezer bag and freeze it for a later date.  I do the same thing with green pepper. 

Here's the recipe card.  ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment