Monday, February 28, 2011

The weekend... Broccoli cheese soup

There aren't many meals that I make more than once or twice.  I just like cooking and love experimenting with new foods.  But I make broccoli cheese soup... and that recipe is one that Husband told me I have to make again.  So every so often I pull that recipe out. 

This weekend we had friends over and so I pulled it out again.  It's so good when you make bread bowls to go with it too.

Ingredients:
1 TBSP olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic, minced
3 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
1 head of broccoli
2 1/2 cups milk, we use skim
1/3 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon black pepper 
8 ounces velveeta, we use the 2%

Instructions:

In a large pot, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil.



Add the chicken broth and broccoli.  Simmer 10 minutes.



In a small bowl mix the milk and flour.

Add the milk mixture to the broccoli and broth.  Cook 5 minutes, or until slightly thick.



Remove from heat and add the cheese, stirring until it's melted.

Using a blender or immersion blender, blend half the soup until it's creamy.

Eat with friends!  Enjoy!!



1 comment:

  1. this one is a classic yummmmmy. Serena could not quit talking about it. and so easy.

    ReplyDelete