Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Confession... Bahn mi Sandwiches

I'm a reality tv junkie.  Yup, I said it.
I like reality television.  And sometimes it pays off.  

Like tonight.

This summer, I watched the Great Food Truck Race on Food Network.   And I wanted to go to every single food truck and try their food. 

But since they weren't coming anywhere near my neck of the woods, it wasn't going to happen.

So I had to make it myself. 

Now, I'm sorry, but I wasn't a fan of the Nom Nom team that had the vietnamese food truck.  But I was still dying to try their food.

So tonight we had vietnamese sandwiches, also known as bahn mi.



Ingredients:
Carrots, cut into matchsticks
Cucumber, cut into matchsticks
Red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup rice vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 lb Boneless pork loin chops
salt, pepper, garlic powder
1 tsp lime juice
sweet chili sauce
mayo, if you'd like... we don't.
French rolls or baguette
cilantro

Instructions:
Before you get started, you'll need to pickle the veggies. (Yes!  I pickled my own veggies!!)   It's easy.  Take your cut veggies and put them in a bowl.  Mix the vinegar and sugar.  Pour it over the veggies.  Stick it in the fridge until you're ready to add it to the sandwich.



Then take your pork loin chops.  Sprinkle them with salt, pepper and garlic on both sides.  Sprinkle the lime juice over top.

Cook the pork in a large skillet over medium high heat (closer to high than medium) for 4 minutes a side or until browned and cooked through.



Let the pork rest while you toast up the baguettes.

Slice the pork into strips. 



Smear the chili sauce  (and mayo if you want) on the baguette.  Put on the pork.  Then the veggies.  Then the cliantro.

Smoosh it all together.



And ENJOY!  It's totally different than anything we've had before.  But it was so GOOD.

1 comment:

  1. MMMM!!! I love different foods, Steph! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete