Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow-pocalypse 2011... salisbury steak with mushrooms

I love an excuse to be home, to not go anywhere, to hang out in our jammies all day and be a family.  I enjoy our home, our family and our lives.  But snow days make me want to eat cozy food.  I want something that smells good, that looks good and just makes me feel all warm inside.  And I've never cooked Salisbury steak before, so why not?

I found this recipe in the food network magazine. 




Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 egg
1 tsp onion powder
7 saltine crackers, crushed
1 tsp sage (I used the dry, rubbed from the health food store)
salt and pepper
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
1 TBSP worchestershire
3 TBSP flour
3 TBSP unsalted butter

Mix the beef, egg, onion powder, cracker crumbs, sage, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper in a large bowl.  I used my mixer to do that.  But you could use your hands if you don't mind getting messy.   Divide into 4 portions and shape into oval patties.



Heat 1 TBSP butter in a large skillet over med-high heat.  Brown the patties, about 4 minutes per side. 

Transfer to a plate.


Add 1 tbsp butter to the skillet and cook the mushrooms until they are nice and golden brown.  (about 2 minutes) Stir in the worchestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste.


Sprinkle in the flour and cook for a minute to get rid of that raw flour flavor.  Then add 2 cups hot water and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken, about 2 minutes.



Add the last tablespoon of butter.  YUM!  Taste to make sure you have all the seasonings you want.

Add the patties back into the gravy.  simmer for 2 minutes until the sauce thickens.



I served it over potatoes but you could definately do it over egg noodles too.


Enjoy it with someone you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment