Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My little garden.... Lemon sage chicken pot pie

I am blessed to live in the house that my mom grew up in.  My grandparents lived here until just a couple of years ago.  I played here most summers as I grew up.

My grandpa was always proud of his yard.  He kept it in beautiful shape.  My grandma always had a fuscia hanging basket on the porch.   We try to do the same.  If you drive by you'll see there is a fuscia hanging in the place it's always been.  The yard will be well kept.  And if you walk in back you'll see that we've kept it pretty true to what he'd do.

In the raised beds that my Gang (as we lovingly called him) made, I have a little herb garden.  I have parsley, sage, rosemary, chives and cilantro.  And I love having those out there, because I love to cook with fresh herbs, and they aren't cheap.  So I just grow them.

I have a couple of favorite combinations of flavors.  One is cilantro and lime.  Another is lemon and sage.

So I was going to make this really yummy looking recipe for lemon sage chicken.  Until someone on facebook got me thinking about chicken pot pie.  Well, why not, I though, combine the two?  And so I did.  And the result was amazing.   A little lighter since we only used one pie crust.  But it was perfect.

And here you are... the recipe.

Ingredients:
One pie crust (I buy mine.  it's just easier)
3 Chicken breasts, cut in small pieces
1 c carrots
1 onion, sliced
1 can potatoes, diced
1 c green beans
1 c corn
Juice of one lemon
3 TBSP flour
3/4 c chicken broth
2 tsp fresh sage, divided
salt and pepper


Instructions:
In a cast iron (or other oven safe pan) brown the chicken and onions in 1 tbsp of olive oil.



Add potatoes, green beans, and corn.  Cook 3 minutes.



Add lemon juice and 1 1/2 tsp sage.
Sprinkle flour into pan, stir and let cook for just a minute. Add salt and pepper
Whisk in the chicken broth.



Cover with the pie crust.  Sprinkle the crust with a little salt and the rest of the sage.
Cut small slits in the top of the crust.



Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until the crust is browned and done through.



Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment