Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Let's make it easy.... Slow cooker chicken stock

I use alot of chicken stock/ boullion/ broth in a lot of my recipes.  Soup, for instance, is alot of broth.  And I cooked all that chicken last week.  So I decided to make my own.  I've done it before, so it wasn't that strange.  But I don't have a ton of time this week, it seems.  So I sat and wondered, when am I going to get this done?  And then...


duh,


the crockpot.


Why not use that and I don't have to be home, and I don't have to remember it's on the stove, and I don't have to have a big chunk of time to make the stock?


Sometimes, I suprise myself.

So I started looking around and found that adding vinegar to the stock helps draw out the calcium from the bones, making better stock.  So here's what I'm doing....

Ingredients:
Chicken bones (and a small amount of meat left on them) from last week.
Carrots- I used three cut up to fit in the crockpot
Onions- One big one cut to fit
Garlic- Four cloves I had left in the fridge
Sage- because I like it in chicken.
Fresh ground pepper- just cranked over the top
Vinegar- a good splash (1 TBSP?) of Red wine vinegar

Instructions:
Stick it all in the crockpot. 

Add enough water so that the water sits about 1 inch below the top of the crock pot.

Let sit for 1 hour to start and draw the goodness from the bones.

Cook on low for 9 hours.  (after that I'll check it and make sure the flavor is deep enough.  If it isn't I'll keep it on low overnight)

Let it cool, strain it and then put it in freezer jars, about 1 inch below the top of the jar.  Freeze.

Try it out.  Can't hurt, you were just going to throw those bones out anyway. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment