Thursday, March 31, 2011

Comfort food... chop suey

There are somethings that I just love to make and feed my family.  Chop Suey is one of those.  It started from my Mother in Laws recipe.  I promise I didn't make that many changes.  And it's so good.  It just is warm and tasty and good.  It makes me happy to make it and to eat it.  Good stuff.

I love it because it starts with simple ingredients.



Ingredients:
Beef.  Stew meat, a roast all cubed up.  Whatever you have
1 onion, thinly sliced
Garlic powder
Salt and pepper
Celery
Flour

Instructions:
Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a big pot over medium high heat.  (you'll see it's the pot I always use.)

Add the onion and cook until they start to soften.  Add the beef.  Salt ad pepper it well.  Also throw the garlic powder in there as well.  You'll want to put enough seasoning on it so that you can see it.



Brown the beef.

When your beef is brown add enough water to cover it (I use about 5 cups) and then add the celery.



Cook on low for 2-3 hours.

After you've simmered it for that long, bring it back up to a boil. Then take a cup of the broth out of the pot.  Add a couple of tbsps of flour to the cup of broth and whisk it well.  This will ensure smooth gravy.



Add the flour/broth mixture back into the big pot.  Stir well.

Serve over rice, with soy sauce.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment