Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Second chances... Pork chops and apples with rice

When I was in elementary school, I had to make a dish for dinner in order to complete the AWANA book that I was doing.  I picked pork chops, apples and rice.  I'd love to say I made it and it was great, but apparently I was not the cook then that I am now. 


It was nasty.

Really nasty.  Crunchy rice, burned pork chops.  Lots of fun.  We still laugh about it (although I'm pretty sure I cried then).

But this week I gave it a second chance.  I made pork chops, apples and rice.  And this time it was...



AMAZING!!

I love a second chance.  I love the way God gives us those each time we screw up.  I hope that I remember to give them to our kids.  And I'm pretty sure that I am glad I gave it to this dish too.

Ingredients:
4 Thin sliced pork chops
3 cloves garlic
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 cups apple juice
1/4 c stone ground mustard
3 apples, cored, peeled and sliced
2 TBSP cornstartch
1/4 c water

Instructions:
In 2 tbsp olive oil, cook the garlic and onion.  Brown the pork chops 2 minutes per side.

Mix the apple juice and mustard.  Add it to the pan.

Cook on low for 45 minutes.

Add the apples.  cook 10 minutes.

Remove the apples and porkchops.

Mix the cornstartch and water.  Add to the pan and stir over medium heat until it reaches the thickness you desire.

Add the pork and apples back to the pan.

Serve over rice.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment