Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Fight the winter blues with color in your dinner!

It has been a long hard winter.

Cold.

Snowy.

Lots of snow days and it's too cold to go to school days. 

I am over it.  

I have the winter blues! 

But my dinner is pretty, with lots of orange today.  Of course you could always add some red too, if that's your thing.



I made smothered chicken.  And it was pretty.  And tasty! 

Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium sized onion, chopped
1 orange pepper, sliced
1/2 tsp garlic powder 
1/2 tsp thyme
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
2 boneless skinless chicken breast
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese

Instructions:
In a oven safe pan (I love my cast iron for this) sauté the onions, peppers and mushrooms over medium high heat until they start to soften about 5-6 minutes.  Add garlic powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook another minute or two.

Remove them to a plate and add chicken to the pan.  I also salt and pepper this to make sure the chicken is flavorful as well.
Cook until the center is no longer pink.

Add the veggies back to the pan, too with cheese and then put the whole thing under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.  Don't walk away!!!! (Ask me how I know!) 




Serve and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment